Whether it’s missing a holiday, graduation, birthday party or other special event, truck drivers may feel left out while on the road. Fortunately, advancements in technology introduce more ways to communicate long distance. With a few useful solutions, you can feel included at important events even if you’re hundreds of miles away.
- Phone calls: A good, old-fashioned call on the telephone is a quick way to join in on the conversation at a special event. With a hands-free unit, truck drivers can even chat with family and friends while on the road. Still, use exceptional caution when behind the wheel.
- Google Voice: This advanced phone calling option is perfect for directing all calls to your cell phone while you’re away from home. Even if your cell phone is the only way for people to reach you, Google Voice still has benefits. For instance, you can use it to screen calls and receive only the ones you want. That way, friends and family can contact you when you’re roaming, but unknown callers can’t bother you.
- Video chats: Take phone calls one step further with FaceTime on your iPhone or Skype on your smartphone, tablet or laptop. A webcam and Internet access are all you need to see your loved ones’ faces and really feel included at a special event. Use video chat to watch your grandchild blow out birthday candles, see your nephew’s school play live or see your daughter open her Christmas presents.
- Emails and text messages: Sometimes a quick text is the easiest way to convey a message to your loved ones. It’s also a good way to share pictures of your adventures as a truck driver. Emails are reserved for longer messages and multiple pictures.
- Social media: At the end of a long day, it’s great to unwind by browsing Facebook and Twitter. You can see what your family and friends have been up to, leave comments and post your own updates to stay connected even when you’re miles from home.
Pegasus Transtech understands and appreciates the sacrifices drivers make to keep America running. That’s why we want to offer technology solutions that make their time on the road easier and the journey home a little shorter. To learn more, please visit our website. Then find us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube to stay informed about the latest trucking industry innovations.